Fluffy, Fido, flora and fauna do not always mix. Beautiful, fragrant and innocuous to our human bodies, yet possibly fatal to our furry best friend.
We often don’t think of our pets when we are given, or buy a bunch of flowers for our homes; without forethought we may be directly introducing a deadly flower or plant to our pet. Many of the most beautiful plants and flowers kept indoors and outdoors are toxic to them.
Symptoms of poisoning can include vomiting, depression, diarrhoea, anorexia, tremors, change of urine colour, hyper salivation, allergic reactions, oral irritation, difficulty swallowing, excessive thirst, weakness of appetite, coma, seizure and ultimately the possibility of death in some circumstances.
CATS & LILIES WARNING:
Lilly toxicity in cats is fatal. Lily toxicity is extremely dangerous to your cat, it can cause kidney and renal failure despite the best treatment by veterinarians and is the cause of many cats departure from life. Even if only a small part of the plant is ingested it may cause intoxication and death. Signs of Lily toxicity include lethargy, depression and vomiting. If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a Lilly, or drank water from a planter containing a lily seek vetinarian emergency treatment immediately.
Some Lily varieties are: The Easter Lily, Day Lily, Stargazer, Casa Blanca Lily, Tiger Lily, Japanese Show Lily and the Rubrum Lily.
Toxic Flora and Fauna to keep out of your pets reach:
Brunfelsia (Yesterday, today & tomorrow)
Stephanotis (Madagascar jasmin)
You can visit www.petpoisonhelpline.com for a further list.